Monday, December 10, 2007

Fun with a Purpose

Last week, I found myself really fretting over what to wear to my husband's office party. I even asked some of my friends for advise on what to do with my hair, which I've insisted on having in a shake-and-go style for years. Worrying about what to do with my hair was a big clue that something other than fashion angst was going on.

The truth is that I just didn't really want to go this year. Spending an evening in a loud room full of people that I really don't know just didn't sound appealing. And I am really enjoying doing what fits with my intentions about celebrating Christmas instead of just doing what's expected.

So, on the day of the party, I was faced with the choice of going along begrudgingly ala Scrooge or finding a compelling reason either to go with good grace or to opt out. I decided to play with the idea of going.

So, I asked myself, if you're going to go, what are your intentions or purposes for being there? (Pretty formal language, huh? It gets my attention when I talk to myself that way!)

Well, with just a few deep breaths and about a minute of reflection, I decided that I would go with the intentions of connecting with people and supporting my husband Mike. Connect with people and support Mike. Hmm, I thought. I can do that.

So, I stopped worrying about my hair and my outfit, met Mike at the office and headed out to the Hilton for the party. And guess what happened? All evening long, there were people who seemed so glad to see me. I was glad to see them, too. When the conversation at our table lagged, I asked a few questions, and we swapped tales about how we met our spouses, funny family memories and favorite Christmas traditions. I made it a point to speak to people, even if I don't know them much. In fact, when Mike was ready to go, he had to wait for me to finish a conversation and do the now-traditional rendition of the Electric Slide with a group of women. It's our third year running. And to think, I almost missed it.

You can play the intention game, too. You don't have to use the formal language, either. You can do what Brad Brown suggests in the Power of Purpose course. Just say, I will do this because... and spin out all the reasons that come to your heart and mind.

Let the games begin!

(By the way, I'll be teaching The Power of Purpose in Knoxville in February.)

No comments: